Easy Coffee Smoothie Recipe
By Death Wish Coffee — / Recipes
Why Drink a Coffee Smoothie?
Surprise! Eating fruits and vegetables doesn’t have to suck.
In fact, getting in those vitamins Mom always nagged you about can be as easy as drinking a milkshake. And not just any milkshake: a deliciously potent blend of protein and other essentials—along with delicious coffee strong enough to jump-start a Harley.
The result is a blend of the protein you (and your muscles) want, nutrients you need to be a motherfunctioner and Death Wish Coffee—aka the lifeblood for your very existence.
When Should You Make a Coffee Smoothie?
This drink is a little more calorie-dense than a protein shake, so it’s ideal for anyone who needs extra calories and protein in order to get those GAINZ.
Whip it up and drink it before your workout. Or wait until after and make it your reward for a pump session well crushed.
But you don’t have to hit the gym to enjoy this delicious mix. A coffee smoothie also works as a meal replacement or healthy snack when you’re in a pinch. It’s great when you don’t have time to cook. The only prep involved here is to wash and then blend. That means it's easy to make and ready to assemble at any time.
A coffee smoothie is a great option for anyone with a high-velocity morning who needs a healthy breakfast that’s portable. It also works as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack that solves the problem of being perpetually hungry, complete with an eye-opening bonus.
[Photo Credit: Pratiksha Mohanty via Unsplash]
Key Ingredients for a Coffee Smoothie
The essential elements of a coffee smoothie include:
- A protein source (like protein powder, almond milk or Greek yogurt)
- A carb source (oats, frozen bananas)
- A healthy fat source (peanut butter or almond butter)
- Spinach and/or other leafy greens you can’t otherwise bring yourself to eat
Why Spinach? You know that leafy greens are high in nutrients and antioxidants—but they’re also boring as hell. This drink solves that problem for you.
Why Bananas? Bananas add sweetness, while also giving the drink a creamier texture. They also contain potassium, which is an essential electrolyte that helps your body maintain proper hydration levels. Also: Gorillas eat bananas. And have you ever seen a weak gorilla? You haven’t—because there’s no such thing.
Why Oats? Oats supply healthy carbohydrates and fiber to help keep the pipes clean.
Why Peanut Butter or Almond Butter: Like coffee and chocolate, they work on everything. Plus, it's never a bad idea to add protein to your smoothie.
When you combine these elements and ice in a blender, deliciousness results. You can also add flavorings like cocoa powder, cacao or vanilla extract. Do your thing.
How To Make a Coffee Smoothie the Easy Way
- Coffee maker
- Tall glass
- 1/2 cup milk or a plant-based alternative
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt or protein powder
- 2/3 cup freshly brewed Death Wish Coffee
- 1 ripe banana, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon oats
- 1/2 cup ice cubes or coffee ice cubes
- Extras: 1 teaspoon cacao powder, cocoa or vanilla extract
- Brew the Death Wish Coffee roast of your choice and allow it to cool.
- Combine the milk and oats in the blender and let it sit for 10 minutes. This will allow the oats to absorb some of the milk, resulting in a soft, creamy, blended smoothie drink.
- Add the cooled coffee, banana chunks, spinach, almond butter, Greek yogurt or protein powder and ice to the blender (plus any extras you want to throw in).
- Blend ingredients at a low speed until the consistency is creamy and smooth.
- Scrape the sides of the blender with a spatula and pour the coffee smoothie into a tall glass.