Why Drink a Coffee Smoothie?
Surprise! Eating fruits and vegetables doesn’t have to suck.
In fact, getting in those vitamins Mom always nagged you about can be as easy as drinking a milkshake. And not just any milkshake: A deliciously potent blend of protein and other essentials — along with delicious coffee strong enough to jump-start a Harley.
The result is a blend of the protein you (and your muscles) want, other nutrients you need, and the coffee serves as the lifeblood for your very existence.
When Should You Make a Coffee Smoothie?
This drink is a little more calorie-dense than a protein shake, so it’s ideal for anyone who needs extra calories and protein in order to get them GAINZ. (Meanwhile, if you’re looking for a lower-calorie but still high-protein option, try this coffee protein shake.)
Whip it up and drink it before your workout. Or wait until afterward and make it your reward for a pump session well-crushed. (Insert fist bump here.)
But you don’t have to hit the gym to enjoy this delicious mix. A coffee smoothie also works as a meal replacement or healthy snack when you’re in a pinch. It’s great when you don’t have time to cook. The only prep involved here is to wash, then mix, meaning this meal is ready to assemble anytime.
That means a coffee smoothie is a great option for anyone with a high-velocity morning who needs a healthy breakfast that’s portable. It also works as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack that solves the problem of being perpetually hungry, complete with an eye-opening bonus.
What to Have on Hand for Coffee Smoothies
- The essential elements of a coffee smoothie are:
- A protein source (like protein powder or Greek yogurt)
- A carb source (oats, frozen bananas)
- A healthy fat source (peanut butter or almond butter)
- Spinach and/or other green leaves you can’t otherwise bring yourself to eat
Why Banana: Adds sweetness while also giving the drink a creamier texture. Contains potassium, which is an essential electrolyte that helps your body maintain proper hydration levels. Also: Gorillas eat bananas. And have you ever seen a weak gorilla? You haven’t, because there’s no such thing.
Why Oats: Supplies healthy carbohydrates and fiber to help keep the pipes clean.
Why Peanut Butter or Almond Butter: Like coffee and chocolate, they work on everything.
When you combine those things plus ice in a blender, deliciousness results. You can also add flavorings like cocoa powder or cacao, or vanilla extract. Do your thing.
How to Make a Coffee Smoothie the Easy Way
Step 1: If your coffee is hot, place a crapload of ice into the blender. If working with cool or cold coffee, you’ll need less ice.
- 2 Step 2: Pour coffee into blender until you’ve filled the reservoir about halfway.
- 3 Step 3: Add protein powder, peanut butter, banana, oats, and spinach.
- 4 Step 4: Top off with a little more coffee.
- 5 Step 5: Place the lid on top.
- 6 Step 6: Blend.
- 7 Step 7: Add more ice until you get the texture you desire. A thicker, more milkshake-like drink will require more ice. Having less ice will produce a result more like a protein shake.
- Ice cubes
- 2 cups brewed Death Wish Coffee (hot or cold)
- 2 scoops chocolate-flavored protein powder
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter
- 2 cups spinach (washed)
- ½ cup quick oats