Whipping up your own iced coffee at home to save a few bucks sounds great in theory, but when the moment of truth comes to make your own coffee, you bail and head to the nearest coffee shop instead. Well, those days are over with this easy iced coffee recipe. Umm, emphasis on ICE.
Death Wish Ice Cube Iced Coffee
[Photo Credit: Oat Canada via Unsplash]
You’ll never have to worry about a watered down, soggy straw, iced coffee situation again with this recipe. All you’ll need is some Death Wish Coffee, a silicone ice cube tray, sugar and any type of milk (yes, I mean, get your plant-based creamer ready). Then tap into your inner barista with a recipe that’s super easy to make, keeps money in your pocket and tastes way better than what you’d get from the place around the corner.
- Death Wish Dark Roast Coffee
- Sugar (any kind you like)
- Silicone ice cube tray (we know you want to go to Target anyway, so here is your excuse)
- Motherfunctioning extras: cinnamon, ashwagandha powder, collagen peptides or cocoa powder
- Brew up some Death Wish Coffee any way you know how to (Chemex, Single-Serve Pod, French Press, Drip Coffee, etc...).
- While your coffee is still hot, stir in your sugar until it is completely dissolved.
- Pour the coffee into the ice cube trays.
- Put trays into freezer.
- Leave your filled tray in your freezer until frozen. (We usually wait overnight.)
- Add ice cubes into a glass.
- Pour your milk of choice into the cup and BOOM! There’s iced coffee right in your kitchen. (Should we call you a barista now?) If you’re not a huge cream person, pour more coffee into the glass and you’ll be caffeinated in a flash.
Grim Reaper Pro Tip: If you want your iced coffee extra strong while still keeping it cool, pour in some hot coffee on top of your ice cubes.
Functional Benefit Additions
[Photo Credit: Christina Rumpf]
Want to add in some extra functional benefits to your iced coffee—other than the caffeine now flowing through your body, keeping you alive? Try mixing these add-ons right into the freshly brewed coffee to give your ice cubes a little somethin' somethin' extra. These ingredients (or powerful potions) are loaded with energy and cognitive benefits so you can be a motherfunctioner—mentally and physically.
Spice up your iced coffee with a pinch of cinnamon! It’s not only one of the most delicious spices on the planet, but also one of the healthiest. Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, but it doesn’t stop there! It’s also packed with magnesium, iron and calcium—which can all help boost your immune system, lower your blood sugar and even lower the risk of heart disease.
This medicinal herb has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years to relieve stress and increase energy. Ashwagandha powder may also improve brain functions, including memory and reaction time.
- Grim Reaper Pro Tip: Mix with cinnamon or a flavored syrup as it can have a strong flavor.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body and has many essential functions. Collagen supplements can help improve skin health, hair and nails and also offer many other benefits, such as relieving joint pain and even promoting heart health.
Cocoa powder does more than just taste like a sweet treat. It has many functional benefits. It is a super powerful antioxidant, thought to be effective in preventing cancer, heart disease and strokes. It also is a great source of magnesium and can also help as a natural mood elevator and antidepressant.
Packed full of functional benefits, these additions will add that extra pep in your step and help turn your coffee into a healthy iced coffee.
[Featured Image Credit: Suhyeon Choi via Unsplash]