Chocolate Espresso Mousse
By Lisa Frania — / Recipes
If you love chocolate just as much as you love your coffee, then this Chocolate Espresso Mousse recipe will send you into another dimension of tasty, decadent bliss. Coffee and chocolate pair perfectly in this espresso mousse dessert that’s super easy to make, full of creamy, smooth, rich chocolate, as well as a bold coffee flavor and caffeinated jolt—thanks to Death Wish Dark Roast Instant Coffee. Make it for a special occasion or any time of the year. It’s that good!
[Photo credit: Kate Trifo via Unsplash]
Easy Espresso Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 cups canned full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Death Wish Dark Roast Instant Coffee
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
1. Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Place the yolks in a medium pot. Reserve the whites for later.
2. To the egg yolks, whisk in the corn starch until smooth. Add the coconut milk, maple syrup and Death Wish Dark Roast Instant Coffee. Set the pot over medium heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture thickens and becomes almost pudding-like, 3-5 minutes.
Note: It's important to be consistently whisking to ensure that the eggs do not scramble.
3. Remove from the heat. Drop in the chocolate and mix until the chocolate is melted.
4. Stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
5. In a clean mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form, for about 5 minutes. Gently fold the chocolate mix into the whipped egg whites, little by little, until fully combined.
6. Divide the mousse between 6-8 glass bowls. Refrigerate for 2 hours until it sets.
7. Serve with whipped cream on top and enjoy!
[Photo credit: Kisoulou via Unsplash]
- Be a show-off! Top each serving with additional whipped topping, chocolate shavings and a chocolate-covered coffee bean.
- Make this chocolate mousse with your best-quality chocolate, one you really enjoy eating on its own!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Calories Per Serving: 358 kcal
You can see you’ll only need a handful of ingredients (that are likely all on hand) and a simple process—nothing too fancy—to achieve this delicious Chocolate Espresso Mousse. Finish each bowl with a dollop (or two) of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. It’s the perfect quick fix for all of you coffee and chocolate lovers out there. Enjoy!