Why You Should Power Up With an Iced Coffee Protein Shake
By Lisa Frania — / Recipes
Some people like to work out, for whatever reason. Maybe it’s to stay in shape and maintain a healthy body. Or maybe it’s just to get your swole on and look better naked. Either way, it’s cool. We’re not here to judge.
No matter what your motivations are—whether you’re a diehard musclehead or not, you probably want and need more protein. That’s because most of us don’t consume nearly enough high-protein foods and beverages—no shocker there.
[Photo credit: Anastasia Zhenina via Unsplash]
Why Is Protein Important?
Research indicates that, despite all the noise about this essential macronutrient, American consumption of protein has remained relatively unchanged since the dawn of the millennium—and it’s low. That’s a problem because protein consumption supports your body in so many ways—not just when you work out. For example, protein activates your metabolism, prompts weight loss, increases muscle mass and promotes healthy body composition, just to name a few. Even better? Protein helps you feel full so you can manage your random cravings throughout the day.
Why a Protein Shake With Coffee?
We already know that coffee offers a load of health benefits for our bodies. So, here’s even more good news for all you coffee lovers out there: You can get more protein with your coffee (especially if you use Death Wish Coffee in your mix). The result? A creamy and absolutely delicious Iced Coffee Protein Shake that will be perfect in the morning, before and after a workout, as well as in the middle of the day—if it’s a little pick-me-up you need to make it to closing time. This protein shake made with Death Wish Coffee offers an extra kick of caffeine, is super healthy and full of nutrients and will fill you up! And it’s only made with natural ingredients. No protein powders, no artificial sweeteners and no sugar!
When Should I Drink a Coffee Protein Shake?
1. Before a workout. Protein can be consumed before a workout and still be helpful for muscle building. Pair up that protein with caffeine and you’ve got a magical mix that simultaneously helps you wake the F up and provides the nutrients you need to help construct bigger, stronger muscles. Plus: Caffeine is a proven workout enhancer. In fact, you know all those expensive pre-workouts on the market? They’re basically just caffeine, plus junk people try to convince you is magic pixie dust. It’s not. The caffeine is what matters.
2. After a workout. Drinking protein soon after workouts is a time-honored tradition among athletes and bodybuilders alike. For about an hour after training, your body is more likely to build muscle and needs protein to help effectively fuel the process. The protein-plus-coffee combo is an ideal fit for this, especially if you work out in the morning. You can get your macros in order and caffeinate for the day ahead. Win-win.
3. A mid-day pick-me-up. Most snacks are BS. You’ve seen enough vending machines to know this is true. The selections consist of various forms of chips and candy bars—empty carbs and bad chocolate. A coffee lover’s protein shake is a perfect way to stay on track because that coffee is just what you need to feign interest in the rest of your workday.
[Photo credit: Derick Mckinney via Unsplash]
What's in an Iced Coffee Protein Shake?
Milk is one of the biggest sources of protein in the shake. You can choose whatever milk works for you—regular milk or a plant-based alternative (soy, almond, coconut) will taste great too and offer a number of other health benefits: fiber, several vitamins and minerals, as well as healthy fat, in addition to the protein. Using soy milk, for example, is also sweeter than other options and is why you won’t have to add any extra sugar in the shake.
Instead of throwing in some store-bought protein powder, add ground hemp seeds that are also loaded with healthy protein, amino acids and other important minerals. They’re great for keeping your heart healthy, and they’re high in anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fats and antioxidants too.
The frozen banana gives the shake a thick and creamy texture, along with some natural sweetness—so you don’t have to add the sugar! However, if your sweet tooth is still working overtime, then you can add a little maple syrup or honey instead.
Coffee makes the world go ‘round, as well as this shake! It’s the star of this drink—the magic ingredient. Brew your cup of Death Wish Coffee any way you like. It will offer the strong and flavorful taste for the shake, along with the caffeine kick in the face you need—no matter what time of day you make it.
Iced Coffee Protein Shake Recipe
- 1/2 cup milk (soy, almond, coconut milks are all great)
- 1 cup brewed Death Wish Coffee, cold (brewed any way you like)
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Optional: 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup, to taste
1. Put all ingredients into a blender and blend on high speed until smooth and desired consistency is reached.
2. If the shake is too thick, add a little more liquid—coffee (our vote is yes), water or milk—and blend again.Pro Tip:
- You can add even more caffeine to the shake by making some coffee ice cubes ahead of time.
[Photo credit: Zen Garden via Unsplash]
Per Serving: 1 glass
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Protein: 8 grams
Fat: 8 grams
*Nutritional information is only an estimate.
This tasty Iced Coffee Protein Shake is loaded with nutrients and made with all-natural, healthy ingredients. Powered with natural, plant-based proteins, healthy fats and fibers and completely sugar-free, this shake is not only a great pre- or post-workout meal, it’s great any time of day. The coffee-flavored protein shake is just the right amount of sweet and full of delicious coffee flavor. Perfect for gym rats and exercise fanatics—and everyone else who loves their coffee, it's super-easy to make and packs for on-the-go if you’re in a hurry too.