Spiked Eggnog Latte Recipe
By Rachel Dymond — / Recipes
Easy Holiday Cocktail Recipe
Well, well, well. If it isn’t the candy corn of Christmas…the controversial beverage of the holidays, aka the enigma that is eggnog. Whether you gulp it down your throat or pour it down the drain, eggnog has been around since the 16th century and blessing (or haunting) our homes with its festive frothiness ever since.
Legend has it that in 1826 it caused what’s known as the “Eggnog Riot” at West Point Military Academy. Imagine the most destructive frat party you’ve been to and the main culprit is a dairy-based spiked drink. Anyway, the foundation of this suspiciously thick libation includes eggs, milk, cream, sugar and seasonal spices. But why stop there? Break out the booze n’ brews, we’re going the eggs-tra mile.
National Eggnog Day conveniently falls on Christmas Eve—the holy night of frantically wrapping presents and baking, right? You know what makes mayhem manageable? The unholy trinity: Coffee. Bourbon. Eggnog.
Photo Credit: Toa Heftiba via Unsplash
Hard-Nog Life Recipe
You don’t need much for this recipe—a few ingredients, 10 minutes and an excuse for why the kids can’t have any (“It’s spicy” should suffice). Taste for yourself and you’ll be nog-nog-noggin’ on heaven’s door (or hell’s door if you overindulge).
Ingredients (serves two):
- 1/2 cup prepared espresso or strong brewed Death Wish Dark Roast Coffee
- 1 1/2 cups eggnog (store bought is fine)
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Whipped cream, cinnamon and nutmeg for topping (optional)
- Prepare the espresso or coffee, mix in the bourbon and pour into
- In a small saucepan, heat the eggnog until warm.
- Once it is warm, use a whisk, immersion blender or frother to whisk the eggnog until it becomes thick, foamy and hot.
- Pour the eggnog evenly into the mugs.
- (Optional) Top the lattes with whipped cream, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Grim Reaper Pro Tip
If you’re on the fence about eggnog, you can go heavy on the coffee and bourbon and leave room for one droplet of eggnog. Don’t pretend you do anything differently with mimosas.
RELATED: Instant Coffee Brownie Recipe