8 Coffee Cocktails for Your Halloween Party
By Lisa Frania — / Recipes
Ghosts, goblins and the Grim Reaper. It’s that freakishly fun time of year again for those who love to decorate the house, don a spooky get up and pass out handfuls of candy that send the kids on a sugar high without an end in sight.
But we all know Halloween—and Halloween parties—aren’t just for kids. Even the big kids can have a devil-of-a-good time. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite coffee cocktails for you (and your caffiends) to keep you energized for the long night of trick-or-treating with the kids, passing out candy from your crypt or staying up late for some hocus pocus of your own—wink-wink.
1. Coffee Martini with Melted Candy Corn
Kick off the night with some bartending sorcery. Perfectly paired with your black hat and broomstick, you’ll be obsessed—or—possessed after enjoying this caffeinated masterpiece, the coffee martini. And guaranteed—you’ve never experienced candy corn quite like this!
- Death Wish Coffee Instant Coffee
- 2 oz. vodka, like Tito’s or Grey Goose
- 1 tbsp. salted caramel syrup
- 8-10 pieces of candy corn, melted
- Pour instant coffee, vodka, salted caramel syrup, and ice in a martini shaker.
- Shake vigorously for about a minute.
- Strain and pour into a martini glass.
- Rim glass with candy corn
2. Kahlúa Black Cat
What’s more spine-tingling than a black cat and Halloween? This coffee cocktail’s vanilla bean “cat’s tail” garnish embodies its look and its name. You’ll definitely be heading back to the cauldron for more than one!
- 2 parts Kahlúa
- 1 part vodka
- 1/2 part fresh brewed Death Wish Instant Coffee Stick
- Vanilla bean for garnish*
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Garnish with single vanilla bean.
Note: Vanilla beans are expensive—and they’re also reusable. Don’t hesitate to collect, wipe down and save the beans for the future. And remember: not all vanilla beans have curved tips. Look for those that do.
3. Grave Digger
Get down and dirty this Halloween with a dessert cocktail that’s as ghoulish as it is delicious. Topped with crushed Oreo cookies and a tiny shovel that looks just like a newly dug grave, you won’t mind getting this concoction stuck under your fingernails.
- 5 oz. vanilla-infused brandy*
- .75 oz. coffee liqueur
- .5 oz. Grand Marnier
- 1 oz. Death Wish Instant Coffee, freshly brewed
- Garnish: whipped cream
- Garnish: Oreo cookies, crushed
- Add all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into a cup.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies (discarding cream in center).
*Tip for vanilla-infused brandy: Cut 2 fresh vanilla pods lengthwise and place into a 750 mL bottle of brandy. Let sit for 3 to 5 days, shaking occasionally. Strain out pods and store.
4. Jazzed Up
This coffee cocktail will give you the energy you need to decorate your haunted house, buy candy for the greedy, little goblins in your neighborhood or schmooze with your party guests long into the shadows of the night.
- 5 oz. Frapin 1270
- .5 oz. Grand Marnier
- .5 oz. Amaro
- 1 oz. Death Wish Coffee Cold Brew
- .5 oz. Demerara Syrup
- Combine ingredients and shake vigorously.01:03
- Strain into a brandy snifter and garnish with 2-3 coffee beans.
5. Hot Boozy Coffee
This coffee cocktail is just what you need to lead the costume parade in the neighborhood. Or better yet—you’ll be ready to play Ghost in the Graveyard well past midnight after sipping on this unearthly brew. .
- .5 shot Brandy
- .5 shot Grand Marnier
- .5 shot Kahlua
- 4-5 oz. freshly brewed Death Wish Coffee (your favorite blend)
- 1 orange peel
- .5 whipped cream
- .5 tsp. sugar
- Put the whipped cream in either a bowl and whip with a whisk (electric or otherwise) or you can put it in the blender. Whip until soft peaks and then add sugar to taste.
- Take your orange peel and lightly “burn” with a lighter. This will help the oils come out and will flavor the coffee later.
- Pour the brandy, Grand Marnier, Kahlua, and freshly brewed coffee in a mug.
- Stir with the orange peel.
- Spoon some whipped cream on top and enjoy right away!
6. Coffee Old Fashioned
Forget about traditional, old-school cocktails. This coffee cocktail is the magic potion you’ll need to stay energized and get the party going long after the kids’ sugar highs wear off.
- 1 double shot Death Wish Instant Coffee (about 2 oz.), room temperature
- 1 oz. bourbon or rye whiskey
- .25 oz. simple syrup
- A dash of Peychaud's bitters
- 1 1-inch piece of lemon peel
- Combine instant coffee, bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters in a shaker and fill with ice.
- Stir with a bar spoon for 30 seconds and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Twist lemon peel over the drink and rub around the rim of the glass.
- Garnish with lemon peel, optional.
7. I’m Here for the Boo’s
This boo—rrific coffee cocktail says Happy Halloween but gives the chill of a cold October night a Caribbean twist.
- 3 oz. Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 1 oz. rum
- 1 oz. maple syrup
- ½ cup of whole milk
- ½ cup of light cream
- Cinnamon sugar for the rim (if you’re feeling fancy!)
- Mix cinnamon and sugar with a 1:4 ratio.
- Wipe the rim of your glass with a couple drops of maple syrup, and then dip the rim of the glass into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake with ice.
- Strain and pour the contents over ice into your glass.
8. Gingerbread Breakfast
What’s more holiday than gingerbread? This dessert cocktail is just what you need to get through the candy shopping and party set up for the long night ahead. It’s a combination of cool autumn vibes with the feel of a beach.
- 2 oz. spiced and buttered Captain Morgan's rum**
- .75 oz. ginger syrup
- 1 oz. half and half
- Top with black coffee
- Garnish with whipped cream and a ginger snap
**BONUS - Buttered Rum:
- 1 bottle Captain Morgan's rum
- 4 oz. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 10 cloves
- Place all ingredients except rum in a pot and bring to a simmer til butter is melted.
- Slowly stir in rum.
- Pour into a casserole dish and place in freezer for 35 minutes.
- Skim butter fat from surface.
- Pour through a mesh strainer.
No matter where life takes you, we want to help you rise to any occasion (or party). If you make a coffee purchase between September 29 and October 28, 2021, you will be entered in our FREE COFFEE FOR LIFE Sweepstakes (more purchases = more chances to win)! ‘Til Death Do Us Part—we're marrying you and vowing to fuel you for life. Find out more on how to enter here.
RELATED: 6 Ways to Use Instant Coffee
Let's drink coffee and throw things at happy people