Your New Favorite Chicken Wing Dry Rub
Pumpkin chai is loved in many forms: in coffee, pastries and even as a chicken wing dry rub. Yes, you read that right—say goodbye to basic dry rubs and hello to Death Wish Coffee Pumpkin Chai! Our Pumpkin Chai can be used as a dry rub to spice up your chicken wing night. This recipe creates a balance of pumpkin chai flavors with a little kick of spice and notes of smoky flavor—the best of both worlds.
Why Use a Dry Rub?
When it comes to wings, there are two main teams—Team Dry Rub and Team Saucy. Between the two, dry rubs can make the best wings with the most flavor. A dry rub is a combination of sugars and spices that is then coated on the wings before they are cooked. Dry rubs have hundreds of combinations that can be sweet or spicy, from popular rubs like lemon pepper or parmesan garlic to lesser-known options like a pumpkin chai. Dry rubs also help create a deeper flavor and a crispy exterior, without having to marinate them like saucy wings. The next time you are wanting to have flavor-packed wings, opt for a dry rub.
- 24 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Death Wish Coffee Pumpkin Chai, whole bean (super finely ground)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Pat wings dry with a paper towel.
- Toss wings in baking powder and place them uncovered in the fridge for at least 2 hours but no longer than 15 hours. (This will help your wings be nice and crispy!)
- Preheat grill to 450 F.
- Grind your Death Wish Coffee Pumpkin Chai. Be sure to grind the coffee super fine.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coffee and remaining spices together to create the dry rub.
- Toss wings in the dry rub, making sure they are all evenly coated.
- Place wings on the grill and cook until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 F.
- Remove from the grill and serve!
Pro Tip: Make some Belgium waffles or pancakes to create the best chicken and waffles brunch you have ever had!