Things to Keep in Mind
Water temperature for a Chemex pour over: 205 F
Since some traditional coffee makers can only reach 160 F, manual methods of brewing immediately have the edge over an auto-drip pot. We use a Bonavita Variable Temp kettle to heat up water.
Tip: If you don't have a fancy kettle or even a thermometer, you may boil water on your stovetop, then let it sit around one and a half minutes--this should bring you right around 200-205F.
Grind for a Chemex Pourover: Coarse
Your grind for a Chemex is typically the coarsest setting on a grinder. It should resemble rock salt in particle size.
Can I use preground coffee in my Chemex?
If you buy preground coffee, the water will take far too long to pass through the filter and will over extract and become bitter. It is possible to brew a cup, but it will not produce coffee that properly represents the taste of the Chemex.
Brewing ratios for a Chemex: Strong
- Water to coffee ratio for a Chemex, by weight: 12:1
- Water to coffee ratio for a Chemex, by volume: 6oz:2.5 tbs
One of the wonderful things about the Chemex is your ability to control the brew--this comes through best during the set-up process. It's possible that the Chemex can make the strongest coffee of any non-pressurized coffee maker. Experiment with the ratio that best suits your taste.
IMPORTANT: Bloom your coffee
- BLOOM: the part of the brewing process in which the unwanted gasses from the coffee are released as the water hits the grinds
Blooming is done by pouring just enough water to saturate the grinds in your filter and waiting ~30 seconds. You'll notice your coffee "blooming", or expanding! This means that your coffee is fresh.
How fast do I pour the water over the grinds?
Pour your water over the coffee grinds slowly until you reach your coffee to water ratio. This should take around four minutes.
Tip: If it takes longer than four minutes, you may need to adjust your grind to be more coarse. If it takes much shorter, your grind may need to be finer.
Why use a Chemex?
- Fresh Cup Every Time
- Non-porous glass does not impart flavors onto the coffee
- Chemex Filters provide a clean, strong cup of coffee every time
- Ability to customize your brew to the strength that you like
- Can be used as a coffee or water reservoir
- Satisfaction of brewing your own coffee through the entire process
Buy a Chemex here
Buy Coffee Online
Coffee Brewing Equipment