How do I make a coffee mask at home?
We all need a little life in our cup each morning when we fall out of bed. Why not top it off by pumping some life into your dull, sleepy skin, too? A little pick-me-up without the injections, if you will. Roughly 10 years ago, beauty companies started using caffeine as an ingredient in skin care products because of its magical tightening effects. Turns out, it’s actually ideal for all skin types!
(Photo credit: crabscrub_moscow via Instagram)
Puffy eyes? Coffee mask. Stretch marks? Coffee mask. Dark spots? Coffee mask. Dry skin? Coffee mask. Acne? Coffee mask. Fine lines? Coffee mask. Human? There’s a coffee mask for you.
(Photo Credit: kore.body via Instagram)
There are many variations of the coffee mask, but here’s a simple and effective one Beauty Banter recommends, that you can make right in the comfort of your own home.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup used ground organic coffee beans (you can buy pre-ground or grind your own)
- ½ cup organic, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup of unsweetened whole milk (almond milk is a great substitute, too)
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice (if you have dry skin, substitute with olive or almond oil)
- 1 tbsp of honey (for extra oily or acne prone skin, use additional lemon juice here instead of honey)
(Photo Credit: emmi_beauty_and_cosmetics via Instagram)
- Mix the coffee grounds with the cocoa powder in your bowl.
- Add in the milk and stir until a paste is created.
- For a thicker paste, use less milk.
- Toss in the lemon juice and honey.
- Mix it up and apply to your face.
- Let it dry (up to 20 minutes) and rinse!
(Photo Credit: katelister2 via Instagram)
What benefits am I getting from this coffee mask?
- Coffee beans reduce inflammation and redness, while also reducing the appearance of under-eye circles. The grounds are a great exfoliator that removes dead skin for a brighter, lively complexion!
- Cocoa powder is filled with antioxidants that protect against free radicals. With its high content of sulfur, it’s great for fighting acne, too!
- Milk is great for giving your skin a youthful, smooth, and healthy glow. The amino acids help to keep your skin hydrated.
- Lemon juice contains natural vitamin C to lighten, brighten, and tighten, all while regulating oil production.
- Honey naturally locks in moisture.
(Photo Credit: flavoraspect via Instagram)
While you’re saving those used coffee grounds to plant your garden, burn during BBQ’s to keep the bugs away and wash your hair, let’s add some life to your skincare routine, and leave the harsh chemicals behind!
Related: Here's what coffee does to your skin
ENTER TO WIN FREE COFFEE: