If you’re like millions of people around the world, your favorite pooch is pampered, played with and adored every day—probably more than the humans in your life. In fact, 67% of U.S. households own a pet, the large majority being dogs.
The bond between a pup and their person is life-altering and surpasses all others.
That’s because our dogs’ loyalty, support and companionship enrich us and make our lives better in so many ways. They push us to get our steps in each day as we walk them around the block or the park. They’re our no-judge-zone listening ears. They bring us calm during anxious times simply with their cozy cuddles and puppy-dog eyes. And they supply much-needed comic relief with their zoomies and other goofy behaviors that make us laugh out loud. They may even be our new work-from-home buddy.
When Is National Dog Day?
National Dog Day is celebrated every year on August 26.
What Inspired It?
In 2004, Colleen Paige, an animal advocate and pet and family lifestyle expert, animal rescue advocate, conservationist, dog trainer and author, established the holiday.
Colleen’s sole goal of National Dog Day was to raise awareness about the millions of dogs who become homeless because they’re unwanted or their owners can’t take care of them. National Dog Day seeks to encourage people to adopt these dogs in shelters and rescue centers that desperately need a forever home. It’s celebrated each year on August 26, the date Colleen’s family adopted their first dog “Sheltie” from the local animal shelter at age 10.
What Can You Do to Celebrate?
There are plenty of ways to show your pup an extra amount of appreciation and join in the fun. But here’s a fan favorite—pup favorite—to try. No need to hit the local ice cream or coffee shop. You can easily make it in your own kitchen, while you treat yourself to a mug of Death Wish Coffee.
The Puppuccino Recipe
Ingredients and Supplies:
- Whipped cream
- Small cup or bowl (big enough for their snout to fit and one that can withstand some dog slobber)
- Apron (optional)
- Grab a cup (or bowl) that will hold about 2-4 ounces. Since dogs should only consume whipped cream in moderation, it’s important to maintain some portion control (ignore those puppy-dog eyes).
- Fill the cup with whipped cream.
- Serve the puppuccino to your eagerly waiting pup.
- Take tons of pictures and videos—it’s a guaranteed treat that will make your pup go crazy—beware of the zoomies!
You can also try one of these celebratory ideas on for size:
- Post pics of your dog on Instagram—who doesn’t want to see adorable dogs on their Instagram feed? It will help spread the message of support for dogs that need forever homes too!
- Share the love with your local shelters and rescue centers and donate, donate, donate.
- Adopt a dog.
- Book a trip to a dog-friendly destination.
- Take a hike—with your pooch.
- Buy a new dog toy.
There’s no “best way” to celebrate your furry friends on National Dog Day. As long as you’re sharing a day full of love and attention, then you’re doing it right. After all, they are quite literally man’s best friend.