DIY Coffee Grounds Candles
By Lisa Frania — / Lifestyle
Upcycle Your Favorite Flavored Coffee Grounds
If you love your Death Wish Coffee brewed hot or over ice, you’re not alone. Every day over 2 billion cups of coffee are consumed worldwide. The bold, rich taste and flavorful aroma of that mug, along with feeling that kick of caffeine on the reg are obvious—and immediate—perks of including coffee in your daily routine.
While you knock back every cup of that caffeinated elixir, here’s another creative and eco-savvy way to make sure you experience the same intoxicating scents that amp up your tastebuds and kick-start those next-level cravings while brewing Death Wish Coffee—and you can get the most out of your grinds, too. These DIY Coffee Grounds Candles will help you capture the intense scents of our coffee flavors by upcycling used coffee grinds—so absolutely nothing goes to waste.
Because you don’t do anything half-*ss, elevate your candle creations when you reach for Death Wish Coffee’s flavored coffee lineup that includes Death Wish Coffee Vanilla and Blue and Buried. Aromas of rich vanilla, blueberry jam and sweet Vietnamese cinnamon will send you into olfactory overdrive long after you drain that mug.
Here’s How To Make Your Coffee Grounds Candles
This DIY Coffee Grounds Candle doesn’t have to just include the flavored grinds. Your upcycling urge can burn brightly when you utilize the remaining wax from already-used candles, as well as an old, beat-up mug that you’ve outgrown—or worn out—thanks to your compulsion for caffeination.
Makes 1 candle
- 1 coffee mug
- 1 natural candle wick
- Spoon or popsicle stick
- Recycled candle wax (from old candles) or new soy wax flakes (enough to fill your mug to 1 1/2 amount)
- 2 tablespoons used Death Wish Coffee flavored ground coffee, dried
- Clean and dry your coffee mug. Use super glue to glue one end of the wick to the bottom of the mug and let dry.
- Rest a spoon or a popsicle stick on the top of the mug. Tie the other end of the wick to the spoon or stick so the wick stands up straight.
- Place wax in a glass measuring cup and set in a saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water until the waterline reaches halfway up the measuring cup. Heat the water at medium-high heat and melt down the wax.
- Carefully remove the measuring cup from the saucepan and pour a thin layer of wax into your mug. Sprinkle a light layer of coffee grounds around the edge of the mug and add the rest of the wax to the mug. Add the remaining coffee grounds, making sure to not get too close to the wick as they will burn when lit.
- Let dry, about 1 hour.
- Untie wick from spoon or popsicle stick and trim the end of the wick so it’s only 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch long above the wax.
- If you’re feeling extra, you can collect any bits and pieces of wax from used candles.
- You can even grab an old mug that deserves early retirement because it has served you well over the years.
No need to toss the leftovers in the trash when those flavored grinds can be repurposed to bring you the mouth-watering scents of our flavored coffees all day long! With just a little bit of creativity—and the energy you get from the extra kick of caffeine, your reused coffee grounds can last and last. Capture the bold, intense scents you obsess over each time you brew our rich vanilla and blueberry flavors and get the most out of your grinds when you purchase Death Wish Coffee Vanilla and Blue and Buried. Need supplies? We got you.
*Note: the Dessert Candle 3-Pack is no longer available for purchase.
Related: 5 Ways to Reuse Your Coffee Grounds