YUM YUM YUM
By Angela Garrity, Guest Blogger
Summer is here! We welcome the hot weather with a handful of low-calorie iced coffee recipes to stay cool while you chill by the pool or wherever this season. These recipes predominantly came from Boston Magazine, but we touched them up Death Wish style.
Coconut Milk Thai Iced Coffee is a great option for those searching for a different way to stay fueled for summer. The strong coffee is balanced by notes of several spices and the sweet mixtures of condensed and evaporated milks all served up nice and smooth over ice for a cool, refreshing sip.
Indulge yourself this summer by staying cool with your favorite coffee treat. Cold-brew popsicles are easy and include vegan and paleo options, as well.
Keep that summer body maintained or start fresh in the sunshine with a Keto friendly Bulletproof Coffee popsicle. Stay cool.
You can have your icy keto Almond Joy Iced Mocha and enjoy it, too. Dark chocolate, coconut and almonds with a coffee kick is perfect for those afternoon energy slumps and will satisfy those chocolate cravings in a snap.
An iced caramel macchiato that’s delicious and paleo? Yes. Check out how to make this one in a “skinny”.
This Iced Coffee Protein Shake has a secret ingredient that is full of healthy fats and will help keep you feeling fuller, longer. Hello metabolism!
Beat the summer heat when you dip into this skinny iced vanilla latte. Too cold and won’t compromise your diet.
Skip the carbs and the dreaded ice cube iced coffee dilution with this Vanilla Keto Iced Coffee. No “blah” here.
Coconut Milk Thai Iced Coffee
- 8 cups of water
- 2 cups course ground Valhalla Java
- 1 cinnamon stick
Thai Cardamom Vanilla Coconut Milk:
- 14 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- To a large gallon pitcher add coarse coffee grounds, water and a cinnamon stick.
- Cover and refrigerator overnight.
Cardamom Vanilla Coconut Milk:
- To a small saucepan add coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, cardamom, nutmeg, and clove. Whisk to combine.
- Bring mixture to a slow simmer and simmer for 20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- You want the mixture to thicken or reduce a little bit. Once it has done so, remove coconut milk mixture from stove and cool.
Serve Iced Coffee over ice with Thai Vanilla Cardamom Coconut Milk.
Cold Brew Coffee Popsicles
- 3 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk about 2 x 13.5 oz cans
- 1/4 cup medium Death Wish Sorta Sweet Cold Brew Coffee
- 1/4 cup honey to taste
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp powdered gelatin
- Add the coconut milk, coffee and honey into a saucepan. Heat the ingredients over medium high heat while stirring, to dissolve the honey and bring the coconut milk to a simmer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the coffee to be infused with the coconut milk - about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, place the water and sprinkle the gelatin over the surface. Allow the gelatin to bloom in the water, for at least 10 minutes (until the coffee has infused the coconut milk).
- Pour the coffee coconut milk through a fine sieve to remove coffee grounds. You should have just over 3 cups of coffee coconut milk. Taste the coffee milk and add more honey or sweetener to taste (remember the coffee popsicles will taste less sweet once they are frozen).
- While the coffee milk is still hot, add the bloomed gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into popsicles molds - about 10 x 3 oz popsicles. Allow the liquid to cool down slightly.
- If your popsicle molds come with the sticks attached to the popsicle "lid", then simply cover your popsicles with the lids and transfer the popsicles into the freezer for at least 4 - 5 hours to completely harden (the time will depend on your freezer temperature).
- If you have popsicle molds where you require the popsicle sticks to be inserted directly into the popsicles, then place the filled molds in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to thicken slightly, and then insert the popsicle sticks. This is to ensure that the popsicle sticks don't sink too far into the popsicle. Transfer the popsicles into the freezer for another least 4 - 5 hours to completely harden (the time will depend on your freezer temperature).
- When you're ready to enjoy your popsicles, hold the popsicle mold under hot running tap water for a few seconds to loosen the popsicle from the mold.
VEGAN substitutions -
- Instead of honey, use MAPLE SYRUP or even brown sugar (this will make it non-paleo).
- Instead of gelatin, use agar agar. If you're using agar agar, you will need to add the agar agar to the coffee coconut milk and reheat the milk to dissolve the agar agar until the coconut milk steams again. It may not be completely dissolved with the residual heat of the milk.
If you don't have honey, you can use your favorite sweetener instead.
- Maple syrup
- Agave syrup (not paleo)
- White sugar (not paleo)
- Brown sugar (not paleo)
Notes on dissolving the gelatin
- The coffee coconut milk should be very warm (not boiling), so that the gelatin will dissolve in the milk. If the milk is not hot enough, you can heat it up in the microwave or on the stove to make it hot (not boiling), and then dissolve the gelatin in it.
- If you're using agar agar however, then the milk can be boiled to dissolve the agar agar.
Bulletproof Coffee Popsicles
- 1 13.5 oz can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/3 cup Powdered Swerve
- 1 tablespoon Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk gently.
- Pour into 8 popsicle molds and freeze.
- Mocha Pops: Omit nutmeg, add 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa.
- Cardamom Pops: Omit nutmeg, add 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Boozy Pops: Omit nutmeg. Add 1-2 tablespoon Bailey’s Irish Cream or Kahlua to your popsicles. Note this will increase their carb counts. Do not overdo the alcohol as it will affect the final consistency of the popsicles.
Keto Almond Joy Iced Mocha
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk If you have chocolate almond milk skip the cocoa powder.
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Chips or Flakes Or use full fat coconut cream if you have it
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond butter creamy
- 2 tsp Death Wish Instant Coffee
- 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup erythritol
- 5-6 ice cubes
- Whipped Cream
- Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup
- For a blended frappe sort of drink combine all ingredients and blitz until smooth and fluffy.
- For on the rocks ~ blitz all ingredients but the ice. Pour into tall glasses over ice cubes.
- Top with whipped cream and sugar free chocolate syrup if desired. (Not necessary but makes it feel special).
Skinny Iced Caramel Macchiato
- 8 oz Death Wish Cold Brew coffee
- 2 tablespoons Paleo caramel sauce
- 2 oz Unsweetened almond milk
Paleo caramel sauce:
- 1 can Full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup Maple syrup (or coconut sugar - see notes)
- 1 tablespoon Coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- Place all caramel ingredients into a medium sauce pot and set over medium high heat. Stirring frequently bring the caramel to a boil.
- Once boiling reduce heat to medium or medium low depending on your stove. You want to keep it at a simmer. Continue to stir frequently for about 15 minutes until it has reduced and thickened just enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool.
- Fill a glass with ice. Pour in coffee until it's a little less than 3/4 of the way full.
- Pour in almond milk leaving about an inch at the top.
- Stir in paleo caramel sauce and enjoy.
Skinny Iced Coffee Protein Shake
- 1.5 cups unsweetened and cooled Death Wish Coffee
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk or Almond Milk (Unsweetened)
- 1 scoop Vanilla Collagen Protein
- 2 tsp Sugar Replacement
- 1 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Ice Cubes
- Add all the ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until you have a smooth consistency. Start on low speed and work your way up.
- Pour into a large glass with a few ice cubes and enjoy!
Skinny Iced Vanilla Latte Coffee Recipe
- 1 cup brewed and cooled Valhalla Java coffee
- 1/4 cup milk choice
- 1/8 cup vanilla simple syrup
Sugar Free Simple Syrup
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or the inside of a vanilla bean
- 2 teaspoons stevia extract
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Puree all ingredients in a blender.
- Place in fridge for storage up to a week.
- Fill a cup 3/4 full of ice.
- Pour over the milk choice, vanilla simple syrup, and coffee. Stir well.
Vanilla Cinnamon Keto Iced Coffee
- 1 cup chilled Death Wish Coffee
- 7 tbsp whipping cream
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup hot Death Wish Coffee
- 1/8 tsp stevia
- 2 tbsp MCT oil
To make the ice cubes:
- Do a VERY quick blend in the blender of the ice cube ingredients. (Whipping cream will froth easily and you want to avoid this as much as possible.)
- Pour mixture into a 16-cube ice cube tray and sprinkle ground cinnamon on top (more or less to taste), then freeze for at least 1 1/2 hours.
To make the liquid:
- Blend all ingredients in the blender.
To assemble the coffees:
- For each glass (the recipe makes two glasses), add eight ice cubes. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the liquid on top.
- Sip slowly, giving the ice cubes time to melt and infuse more flavor into the coffee. (See notes if you don't want to wait long for the ice cubes to melt.)
Note - Some people like to add hot coffee to their coffee cubes to make them melt faster. If you want a faster melt, warm the almond milk mixture before pouring it over the ice cubes.