Here's how you can prevent Sunday Scaries
By Angela Garrity, Guest blogger
Let’s face it, Mondays tend to suck. After a long weekend, most of us start to dwell on the upcoming back to workweek grind dubbed the “Sunday Scaries.”
You’re not alone with those feelings of dread you tend to get the night before it’s time to get back to the daily grind after having a few days off. 80 percent of us struggle with facing the upcoming week, according to LinkedIn research. The biggest driver of the anxious thoughts tends to be mulling over next week’s workload.
According to an article in Bustle, the phenomenon is real and the stress is a reaction arising from “anticipatory anxiety” – not stress in the moment, but the anticipation of what will come.
Here are a few tips that might help next week jumpstart a little less frantic. All of these are inspired by the genius mind of Mike Judge. Remember, it could always be worse.
- Dial back your time on social media. Take your next two days off and make them yours. Take a few days from the constant barrage of the outside world. No one is going to unfriend you because you didn’t react to their latest status.
- Just chill. Don’t feel pressured to say “Yes” to every weekend invite. Take time out for yourself, too. This is your time to do with as you wish.
- Get into a vacation mindset. Turn on some upbeat music on your way into the office, reward yourself for accomplishing those dreaded tasks This will even allow you to give that annoying co-worker a 5 minute chit chat about her kid’s birthday party over the weekend at the coffee pot and breathe more. You’ve got this.
- Focus on the positives. No, your boss doesn’t actually hate you so stop letting your imagination run wild with that notion. No one is moving you into the basement on Friday.
- Make Sunday yours. Spend it doing something fun with family, friends or alone.
And, of course, load up on some strong coffee so you can kick Monday's ass.
Angela Garrity is a guest blogger for Death Wish Coffee Co. Her work can be found in Vapun Magazine as well as on their website.
ENTER TO WIN FREE COFFEE: