4 coffee recipes to try this holiday season
By Death Wish Coffee — / Death Wish Coffee Blog
Make festive holiday drinks with coffee (alcohol optional)
By Lindsay Moran
The holiday season is deemed the most wonderful time of the year, and for good reason. With parties, family gatherings and countless winter activities in the mix, it can get exhausting if you’re not prepared. And by prepared, we mean caffeinated. Whether you like to sip it hot or prefer iced coffee year-round, there’s nothing like a few coffee recipes to power you through the festivities. In the mood for an adult beverage? Don’t worry – we’ve got all your holiday caffeine fixes covered. Check out these recipes for inspiration.
Photo: A Latte Food
What’s better than mixing the chill of your favorite holiday candy with some smooth coffee? Stroll down snow-covered streets, go ice skating, or stay home and watch some Christmas movies with this festive drink in hand for a picture-perfect winter day.
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup strong coffee
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- Heat milk and peppermint extract in a saucepan or microwave until hot
- Add sugar and cocoa powder into mixture and whisk until frothy
- Pour mixture over coffee
- Serve with a candy cane, whipped cream, sprinkles, or chocolate syrup
(Mix in vodka with coffee for an alcoholic alternative)
If you want to impress your out-of-town relatives with a fun, easy-to-make coffee recipe, this is the one for you. This alcoholic take on a classic hot coffee with cream and sugar is sure to stir up some entertaining dinner table banter.
- Death Wish Coffee, brewed
- Irish Whiskey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream OR 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk*
- A pinch of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of hot (preferably near boiling) water
- Mason Jar, frozen for 15 minutes
- Stemmed Glass
- Make frothed cream: Shake heavy cream and 1 teaspoon of maple syrup in freezing cold mason jar for two minutes straight. Freeze for up to 15 minutes before serving.
- Melt brown sugar into hot water and swish
- Add coffee
- Add Whiskey
- Add cream and enjoy!
Photo: A Sweet Pea Chef
This recipe is the perfect homemade, on-the-go cup of coffee with a holiday twist. Although it’s more subtle than your typical sugary Christmas drink, nothing beats a classic cup of fresh coffee paired with the timeless holiday tradition of eggnog. Feel free to get creative with this one, but it only requires two ingredients in its simplest form – easy enough!
- 2 2/3 cup hot coffee (cold for iced coffee)
- 1 1/3 cup eggnog
- Heat eggnog in a saucepan and pour in coffee
- For iced option, simply pour eggnog into iced coffee as desired
Photo: How to Feed a Loon
This recipe is a winter take on the sophisticated iced coffee-flavored cocktail recipe. The White Russian requires more coffee than the on-the-rocks version, but the more coffee, the better! Perfect for a night in with family, friends, or your significant other, this drink can warm up any cold night and can even get you ready for a night on the town.
- 2 1/2 cups freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Kahlúa or coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1/4 cup vodka
- Combine coffee, heavy cream, Kahlúa, and vodka in saucepan
- Stir over medium heat until hot
- Serve with whipped cream
Get creative with these recipes – if you’re looking for new ways to brew your coffee, try using a french press for a great single-serve option, or give a Chemex a shot for a quality cup. We all know that every great holiday drink recipe starts with an even better cup of coffee, so let it power you through whatever this winter throws at you. Pour your cup of cheer in a holiday mug, and go for seconds. After all, it’s hard to say no to more than one of anything during this time of year!